1. Gao, X., Asgedom, H., Tenuta, M., and Flaten, D. Enhanced efficiency fertilizers and band placement of granular urea at spring planting decreases nitrous oxide emissions. Agronomy Journal (accepted pending minor revisions). DOWNLOAD
2. Uzoma, K., Smith, W., Grant, B., Desjardins, R., Gao, X., Hanis, K., Tenuta, M., Goglio, P., and Li, C. 2014. Assessing the effects of agricultural management on nitrous oxide emissions using flux measurements and the Cdn-DNDC model. Science of the Total Environment (accepted pending minor revisions).
3. Stewart, A.A., Alemu, A.W., Ominski, K.H., Wilson, C.H., Tremorin, D.G., Wittenberg, K.M., Tenuta, M., and Janzen, H.H. 2014. Whole-farm greenhouse gas emissions from a backgrounding beef production system using an observation-based and model-based approach. Canadian Journal of Animal Science 94:463-477.
4. Brewin, D.G., Kulshreshtha, S., Undi, M., Wittenberg, K., Tenuta, M., and Ominski, K.H. Integration of forage, beef, and hog production systems in Western Canada: An economic assessment. Agricultural Systems 127: 1-8.
5. Bernier, J.N., Donohoe, G., Undi, M., Wittenberg, K.M., Plaizier, J.C., Tenuta, M., Flaten, D.N., and Ominski, K.H. Nitrogen and phosphorus utilization and excretion by beef cows fed a low quality forage diet supplemented with dried distillers grains with solubles under thermal neutral and prolonged cold conditions. Animal Feed Science and Technology 193:9-20.
6. Gao, X., Tenuta, M., Buckley, K.E., and Ominski, K. Greenhouse gases emissions from pig slurry applied to forage legumes on a silt loam soil in south central Manitoba. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 94:149-155.
7. Gao, X., Rajendran, N., Tenuta, M., Dunmola, A., and Burton, D.L. Greenhouse Gas Accumulation in the Soil Profile is not Always Related to Surface Emissions in a Prairie Pothole Agricultural Landscape. Soil Science Society of America Journal 78: 805-817. DOWNLOAD
8. Gilmanov, T.G., Baker, J.M., Bernacchi, C.J., Billesbach, D.P., Burba, G.G., Castro, S., Eugster, W., Fischer, M.L., Gamon, J.A., Gebremedhin, M.T., Glenn, A.J., Griffis, T.J., Hatfield, J.L., Heuer, W.L., Howard, D.M., Leclerc, M.Y., Loescher, H.W., Matamala, R., Meyers, T.P., Phillips, R.L., Prueger, J.H., Suyker, A.E., Tenuta, M., and Wylie, B.K. 2014. Productivity and Carbon Dioxide Exchange of Leguminous Crops: Estimates from Flux Tower Measurements. Agronomy Journal 106: 545559.
9. Alemu, W.W., Ominski, K.H., Tenuta, M., Amiro, B., and Kebreab, E. Using Whole-Farm Models to Evaluate Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Hog Manure Application in a Canadian Cow-Calf Production System. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment (submitted)
10. Grant, C., Flaten, D.N., Tenuta, M., Malhi, S., and Akinremi, W. 2013. The effect of rate and Cd concentration of repeated phosphate fertilizer applications on seed Cd concentration varies with crop type and environment. Plant and Soil 10.1007/s11104-013-1691-3.
11. Asgedom, H., Tenuta, M., Flaten, D.N., Gao, X., and Kebreab, E. 2013. Nitrous Oxide Emissions from a Clay Soil Receiving Granular Urea Formulations and Dairy Manure. Agronomy Journal doi:10.2134/agronj2013.0096. DOWNLOAD
12. Hanis, K.L., Tenuta, M., Amiro, B.D., and Papakyriakou, T.N. 2013. Seasonal dynamics of methane emissions from a subarctic fen in the Hudson Bay Lowlands. Biogeosciences 10: 4465-4479. DOWNLOAD
13. Maas, S.E., Glenn, A.J., Tenuta, M., and Amiro, B.D. 2013. Net CO2 and N2O exchange during perennial forage establishment in an annual crop rotation in the Red River Valley, Manitoba. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 93:639-652.
14. Xiaopeng, G., Tenuta, M., Nelson, A., Sparling, B., Tomasiewicz, D., Mohr, R.M., and Bizimungu, B. 2013. Nitrous oxide emission from irrigated Russet Burbank potato in Manitoba as influenced by nitrogen fertilizer rate. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 93:1-11.
15. Gilmanov TG, Wylie BK, Tieszen LL, Tilden PM, Baron VS, Bernacchi CJ, Billesbach DP, Burba GG, Fischer ML, Glenn AJ, Hanan NP, Hatfield JL, Heuer MW, Hollinger SE, Howard DM, Matamala R, Prueger JH, Tenuta M, and Young DG. 2013. CO2 uptake and ecophysiological parameters of the grain crops of midcontinent North America: Estimates from flux tower measurements. Agriculture Ecosystems Environment 164:162–175.
16. Glenn, A.J., Tenuta, M., Amiro, B.D., Stewart, S.E., and Wagner-Riddle, C. 2012. Nitrous Oxide Emissions from an Annual Crop Rotation on Poorly Drained Soil on the Canadian Prairies. Agriculture and Forest Meteorology 166-167:41-49.
17. Tremorin, D.G., Tenuta, M., Mkhabela, M., Flaten, D.N., and Ominski, K.H. 2012. Nitrous oxide emissions from dung and synthetic urine of cattle grazing forage grass fertilized with hog slurry. Animal Feed Science and Technology 177:225-236.
18. Ferris, H., Griffiths, B.S., Porazinska, D.L., Powers, T.O., Koon-Hui, W., and Tenuta, M. 2012. Reflections on Soil Nematode Ecology: Past, Present and Future. Journal of Nematology 44:115-126. DOWNLOAD
19. Briar, S.S., Barker, C., Tenuta, M., and Entz, M.H. 2012. Soil nematode responses to crop management and conversion to native grasses. Journal of Nematology 44:245-254. DOWNLOAD
20. Bell, L.W., Sparling, B., Tenuta, M., and Entz, M.H. 2012. Soil profile carbon and nutrient stocks under long-term crop and alfalfa-crop rotations and management, and re-established grassland. Agriculutre, Ecosystems and Environment 158:156-163.
21. Jiang, Y., Tang, S., Wang, C., Zhou, P., Tenuta, M., Han, G., and Huang, D. 2012. Contribution of urine and dung patches from grazing sheep to methane and carbon dioxide fluxes in an Inner Mongolian desert grassland. Asian – Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences 25:207-212.
22. Wilson, C., Undi, M., Tenuta, M., Tremorin, D., Coppi, L., Flaten, D.N., Wittenberg, K.M., and Ominski, K.H. 2011. Utilization of liquid hog manure to fertilize grasslands in southeast Manitoba: Impact of application timing and forage harvest strategy on nutrient utilization and soil extractable nutrients. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 91:155-171.
23. Turmel, M.S., Entz, M.H., Tenuta, M., May, W.E., and LaFond, G.P. 2011. The influence of long-term black medic (Medicago lupulina cv. George) cover crop on arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal colonization and nutrient uptake in flax (Linum usitatissimum) under zero-tillage management. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 91:1071-1076.
24. Glenn, A.J., Amiro, B.D., Tenuta, M., Wagner-Riddle, C., Drewitt, G., and Warland, J. 2011. Contribution of crop residue carbon to soil respiration at a northern Prairie site using stable isotope flux measurements. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 151: 1045-1054.
25. Gao, X., Tenuta, M., Flaten, D.N., and Grant, C.A. 2011. Cadmium concentration in flax colonized by mycorrhizal fungi depends on soil phosphorus and cadmium concentrations. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 42:1882-1897.
26. Tenuta, M., and Sparling, B. 2011. A laboratory study of soil conditions affecting emissions of nitrous oxide from packed cores subjected to freezing and thawing. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 91: 223-233.
27. Moulin, A.P., Tenuta, M., Lobb, D.A., Dunmola, A.S., and Yapa, P. 2011. Probability distribution functions for short-term daily nitrous oxide fluxes in a prairie pothole agricultural landscape in western Canada. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 91: 303-307.
28. Kirk, A.P., Entz, M.H., Fox, S.L., and Tenuta, M. 2011. Mycorrhizal colonization, P uptake and yield of older and modern wheats under organic management. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 91: 663-667.
29. Gao, X., Flaten, D.N., Tenuta, M., Grimmett, M.G., Gawalko, E.J., and Grant, C.A. 2011. Soil solution dynamics and plant uptake of cadmium and zinc by durum wheat following phosphate fertilizerion. Plant and Soil 338:423-434.
30. Glenn, A.J., Amiro, B.D., Tenuta, M., Stewart, S.E., and Wagner-Riddle, C. 2010. Carbon dioxide exchange in a northern prairie cropping system over three years. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 150:908-918.
31. Mahran, A., Tenuta, M., Shinners-Carenelly, T., Mundo-Ocampo, M., and Daayf, F. 2010. Prevalence and species identification of Pratylenchus spp. in Manitoba potato fields and host suitability of cv. Russet Burbank. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology 32:272-282.
32. Tenuta, M., Mkhabela, M., Tremorin, D., Coppi, L., Phipps, G., Flaten, D., and Ominski, K. 2010. Nitrous Oxide and Methane Emission from a Coarse-texture Grassland Soil Receiving Hog Slurry. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 138:35-43.
33. Gao, X., Akhter, F., Tenuta, M., Flaten, D., Gawalko, E., and Grant, C. 2010. Mycorrhizal colonization and grain Cd concentration of field grown durum wheat in response to tillage, preceding crop and phosphorus fertilization. Journal of Science of Food and Agriculture 90:750-758.
34. Welsh, C.M., Tenuta, M., Flaten, D., Thiessen Martens, J., and Entz, M. 2009. High yielding organic crop management decreases plant available but not total soil phosphorus. Agronomy Journal 101:1027-1035.
35. Wilson, C., Undi, M., Tenuta, M., Tremorin, D., Coppi, L., Flaten, D.N., Wittenberg, K., and Ominski, K. 2010. Pasture productivity, animal productivity and metabolic status following fertilization of a grassland with liquid hog manure: a three year study. Canadian Journal of Animal Science 90:233-243.
36. Mahran, A., Tenuta, M., Lumactud, R.A., and Daayf, F. 2009. Response of a soil nematode community to liquid hog manure and its acidification. Applied Soil Ecology 43:75-82.
37. Dunmola, A., Tenuta, M., Moulin, A., Prinantha, Y., and Lobb, D. 2010. Pattern of greenhouse gas emission from a Prairie Pothole agricultural landscape in Manitoba, Canada. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 90:243-256.
38. Raddatz, R.L., Papakyriakou, T., Swystun, K., and Tenuta, M. 2009. Evapotranspiration from a wetland tundra sedge fen: surface resistance of peat for land-surface schemes. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 149:851-861.
39. Mahran, A., Conn, K.L., Tenuta, M., Lazarovits, G., and Daayf, F. 2008. Effectiveness of Liquid Hog Manure and Acidification to Kill Pratylenchus spp. in Soil. Journal of Nematology 40:266-275. DOWNLOAD
40. Mahran, A., Tenuta, M., Hanson, M., and Dayff, F. 2008. Mortality of Pratylenchus penetrans by Volatile Fatty Acids from Liquid Hog Manure. Journal of Nematology 40: 119-126. DOWNLOAD
41. Zasada, I.A., and Tenuta, M. 2008. Alteration of Soil Environment to Maximize Meloidogyne incognita Suppression Using an Alkaline-stabilized Biosolid Amendment. Appllied Soil Ecology 40: 309-317.
42. Holley, R., Walkty, J., Blank, B., Tenuta, M., Ominski, K., Krause, K., and Ng, L.K. 2008. Examination of Salmonella and Escherichia coli translocation from hog manure to forage, soil and cattle grazed on the hog manure-treated pasture. Journal of Environmental Quality 37: 2083-2092.
43. Uppal, A.K., El Hadrami, A., Adam, L.R., Tenuta, M., and Daayf, F. 2008. Biological control of potato Verticillium wilt under controlled and field conditions using selected bacterial antagonists and plant extracts. Biological Control 44:90-100.
44. Uppal AK , El Hadrami, A , Adam, L.R, Tenuta, M, and Daayf, F. 2007. Pathogenic variability of Verticillium dahliae Kleb. isolates from potato fields in Manitoba and screening of bacteria for their biocontrol. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology 29:141-152.
45. Zhang, Q., Zhou, X.J., Cicek, N., and Tenuta, M. 2007. Measurement of odour and greenhouse gas emissions in two swine farrowing operations. Canadian Biosystems Engineering 49: 6.13 – 6.20.
46. Arrus, K.M., Holley, R.A., Ominski, K.H., Tenuta, M., and Blank, G. 2006. Influence of temperature on Salmonella survival in hog manure slurry and seasonal temperature profiles in farm manure storage reservoirs. Livestock Science 102:226-236.
47. Arrus, K., R. Holley, K. Ominiski, M. Tenuta, and G. Blank. 2006. Salmonella Survival in Manure-Treated Soils during Simulated Seasonal Temperature Exposure. Journal of Environmental Quality 35:1170-1180.
48. Meyer, S.F.L., I.A. Zasada, M. Tenuta, and D. P. Roberts. 2005. Application of a biosolid soil amendment, calcium hydroxide, and Streptomyces sp. for management of root-knot nematode on cantaloupe. Hortechnology 15: 635-641.
49. Conn, K.L., M. Tenuta, and G. Lazarovits. 2005. Liquid swine manure can kill Verticillium dahliae microsclerotia in soil by volatile fatty acid, nitrous acid, and/or ammonia toxicity. Phytopathology 95:28-35.
50. Zasada, I.A., and M. Tenuta. 2004. Chemical-mediated toxicity of N-Viro Soil to Heterodera glycines and Meloidogyne incognita. Journal of Nematology 36:297-302.
51. Tenuta, M., and H. Ferris. 2004. Sensitivity of nematode life-history groups to ions and osmotic tensions of nitrogenous solutions. Journal of Nematology 36:85-94.
52. Tenuta, M., and G. Lazarovits. 2004. Soil properties associated with the variable effectiveness of meat and bone meal to kill microsclerotia of Verticillium dahliae. Applied Soil Ecology 25:219-236.
53. Tenuta, M., and E.G. Beauchamp. 2003. Nitrous oxide production from nitrogen fertilizers in soil. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 83:521-532.
54. Berkelmans, R., H. Ferris, M. Tenuta, and A.H.C. van Bruggen. 2003. Effects of long-term crop management on nematode trophic levels other than plant feeders disappear after 1 year of disruptive soil management. Appllied Soil Ecology 23:223-235.
55. Tenuta, M., K.C. Conn, and G. Lazarovits. 2002. Volatile fatty acids in liquid swine manure can kill microsclerotia of Verticillium dahliae. Phytopathology 92:548-552.
56. Tenuta, M., and G. Lazarovits. 2002. Identification of specific soil properties that affect the accumulation and toxicity of ammonia to Verticillium dahliae. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology 24:219-229.
57. Tenuta, M., and G. Lazarovits. 2002. Ammonia and nitrous acid from nitrogenous amendments kill the microsclerotia of Verticillium dahliae. Phytopathology 92:255-264.
58. Lazarovits, G., M. Tenuta, and K.L. Conn. 2001. Organic amendments as a disease control strategy for soil-borne diseases of high value agricultural crops. Australasian Plant Pathology 30:111-117.
59. Tenuta, M., D.A.J. Barry, G. Fairchild and E.G. Beauchamp. 2001. Nitrous oxide production by manure samples collected from six manure handling systems. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 81:33-38.
60. Bergstrom, D.W., M. Tenuta, and E.G. Beauchamp. 2001. Nitrous oxide production from different nitrogen fertilizers applied to sod. Communications in Soil Science Plant Analysis 32:553-570.
61. Lazarovits, G., M. Tenuta, and K.L. Conn. 2000. Utilization of high nitrogen and swine manure amendments for control of soil-borne diseases: efficacy and mode of action. Acta Horticulturae 532:59-64.
62. Tenuta, M., and E.G. Beauchamp. 2000. Nitrous oxide production from urea granules of various sizes. Journal of Environmental Quality 29:1408-1413.
63. Tenuta, M., D.W. Bergstrom, and E.G. Beauchamp. 2000. Denitrifying enzyme activity and carbon availability for denitrification following manure application. Communications in Soil Science Plant Analysis 31:861-876.
64. Bolter, C.J., M.L. Latoszek-Green, and M. Tenuta. 1998. Dependence of Methyl Jasmonate- and wound-induced Cysteine Proteinase inhibitor activity on nitrogen concentration. Journal of Plant Physiology 152:427-432.
65. Tenuta, M., and E.G. Beauchamp. 1996. Denitrification following herbicide application to a grass sward. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 76:15-22.
66. Covert, J.A., M. Tenuta, and E.G. Beauchamp. 1995. Automated headspace gas analysis from air-tight blood collection vials. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 26:2995-3003.
67. Bergstrom, D.W., M. Tenuta, and E.G. Beauchamp. 1994. Increase in nitrous oxide production in soil induced by ammonium and organic carbon. Biology and Fertility of Soils 18:1-6.
68. Winter, J.P., Z. Zhang, M. Tenuta, and R.P. Voroney. 1994. Measurement of microbial biomass by fumigation-extraction in soil stored frozen. Soil Science Society of America Journal 58:1645-1651.